Follow Chasewater Railway on Google+ Follow Chasewater Railway on Facebook
The Official Website of "The Colliery Line" - Est. 1959
Chasewater Country Park, Brownhills West Station, Pool Lane (Off the A5), Burntwood, Staffs, WS8 7NL
Telephone 01543 452 623 :: Email info@chasewaterrailway.co.uk
Brownhills West Railway Shop
the-causeway-main.jpg

News

We have been receiving several calls and messages regarding Santa Specials. Please bear with [..]

During the school holidays, kids go free on our mid week school holiday specials! [..]

Events

Our 2017 events/brochure can be found here. Our next event is :- July 9th [..]

Make A Donation

We are a charity that is run entirely by volunteers and rely solely on donations to keep our heritage alive. If you would like to make a donation please click on this button below. Thank you:

Running Dates

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
311
Winter and Mid-Week Timetable
23
Winter and Mid-Week Timetable
45
Standard Timetable
6
Charity Day
78
Winter and Mid-Week Timetable
910
Winter and Mid-Week Timetable
1112
Standard Timetable
13
Standard Timetable
1415
Winter and Mid-Week Timetable
1617
Winter and Mid-Week Timetable
1819
Standard Timetable
20
Standard Timetable
2122
Winter and Mid-Week Timetable
2324
Winter and Mid-Week Timetable
2526
Standard Timetable
27
Standard Timetable
28
Standard Timetable
29
Winter and Mid-Week Timetable
3031
Winter and Mid-Week Timetable
123
Timetable Key

The Causeway

The building of the CC & WR involved major earthworks to enable the railway to cross the northern end of what is now Chasewater. Now known as “The Causeway”, these earthworks started as a simple embankment, crossing a valley and the Great Crane Brook. It was only when the dam at the south end of the reservoir was raised from its’ previous height, early this century, to enlarge the holding capacity for the Birmingham Canal Navigation, did the Causeway find itself with a lake on each side. The northern pool is known as “Jeffrey’s Pool” or “The Swag”, and the larger lake, Chasewater, was known as “Norton Pool” until the 1960’s.

The Causeway had to be regularly strengthened as the water movement had the effect of washing it away. The colliery company used side-tipping “Jubilee” wagons loaded with excavated colliery shale to carry out this operation. The closure of the mines in the 1960’s saw the cessation of coal traffic. The end of rail traffic over the Causeway and the abandonment of the line, combined with the effects of the weather and erosion from the high water in the reservoir, caused the Causeway to fall into a state of serious disrepair.

Thus in 1982 the Preservation Society was forced to lift the track on the Causeway and commence work on an ambitious rebuilding scheme. Sadly owing to the Society’s finances and lack of support, the scheme collapsed and the Preservation Society was forced to close to passenger traffic for a number of years, even though work continued on basic restoration at the Brownhills West site.

A scheme to restore the Causeway commenced in May 1993, with the basic engineering elements being completed some 11 months later. Approx. 120,000 tons of fill material were imported on to the site for grading and compaction. With the completion of one of the largest civil engineering schemes in railway preservation to be carried out to date, work was able to proceed with the opening of Norton Lakeside Station. The station was opened in December 1995.

Museums, Libraries and Archives Council Dementia Action Alliance